A card doesn't have to be perfect - just from the heart ...

Sunday 13 May 2012

Dressed Up Window Card

 

 

HEART-SHAPED WINDOW CARD





It's Mum's Day so I treated myself to some time in peace and quiet, tinkering at my desk.  I am definitely feeling the love today so went for a lovey theme!

I really enjoyed making this card because it's a quick and simple card but so dimensional and sweet!  You could trade the little hearts for butterflies or whatever shape you want, likewise the window.

I have used a Nestabilities set, however there are all kinds of dies and punches you could use for this - I've got some cute leaf punches so I'm thinking an autumn themed card like this might be my next project :)

 




First of all you need two pieces of white card - one that is 20x10cm (which you fold in half to be the card) and another 10cm square, which will be the front of the card.




After you have folded the piece of card in half, open it up and lay it out on your cuttlebug, lay the square card on top, exactly how it will sit once it is stuck on.  Centre the Nestabilities heart shaped cutting die (I used the second largest) on top of the square and cards and carefully run through the cuttlebug.




This will cut through the main card and the square piece that will mount on the front.




Using some red card, use the snallest Nestability heart and cut out eight hearts.




Cut some nylon or cotton white thread - 3 lengths of about 15cm.  Turn your hearts upside down and on four of them place some double sided tape going up the centre of the hearts.  Place your thread along the centre of the heart (as above) and place another piece of double sided tape on top, going across the widest part of the heart - this will make sure the hearts stick together properly and hold the thread in place.




You want the hearts to be laid out per this photo.

2 of the threads will have the heart towards the top of the string (make sure there is a good inch or so of thread above the heart.  The other thread has two hearts on it, about halfway along with a centimetre or so between the hearts.




Turn over your square piece of card and lay down plenty of double sided tape.  Pull the threads taut as you position as above.  The threads needs tension so that the hearts are suspended properly.  Don't cut off the extra lengths of thread.

Lay lots more tape on top of the last lot - yes, I'm paranoid about threads pulling free - and then stick the excess thread back on top of that.  Trimming the threads short will just encourage them to eventually wiggle loose - this way, you're making TRIPLE sure that everything is secure!




Now carefully line up and stick together the square card and the main card, so that the large hearts match up neatly.

That's basically it!




As you can see, I have chosen to stamp a sentiment inside - I like the look of it, but you don't have to put a sentiment on it if you don't want.

I just close up the card and lay it flat and then mark with a pencil, between the two centre hearts, where I want the sentiment to be.  Then open her up and stamp!

Any additional greetings and writing, I think would be better on the back of the card so as to not ruin the visual effects.



Happy Cutting!!!

Dani :)




1 comment:

  1. love the card hun...I just love you make it sound so simple :0)

    ReplyDelete